Saturday, August 30, 2008

Harley-Davidson Museum

In about January of this year, we bought our 105th anniversary tickets. Along with the tickets, there was a lottery. Only certain ticket purchasers would be able to also get tickets for the highly anticipated Harley-Davidson Museum. These tickets were included, at no extra charge for the lottery winners. We were not one of the lucky lottery winners. We were lucky in another way. Staying at our Bed & breakfast is Gary Andersen. He gave us a great tip. He said go down to the museum and check for people who have turned in their tickets. For whatever reason, they could not attend. He said, "that's how I got in".
We did not think there was much of a chance when we arrived. The place was packed with bikes and the bikers who rode them their. We found the tent Gary told us about and sure enough, the lady said, "here you go", as she pulled two tickets out of her back pocket. We were totally shocked. You mean we can just go in right now?
Yes, she replied. You see, the tickets had specific dates and times on them, so we could have gotten tickets for the next day at 8pm. We were very lucky.
The museum was an experience I will carry with me for the rest of my life. People talk of brand loyalty. Others say, "Buy American". They say when you buy a Harley-Davidson, you buy more than just a bike, you join the family. That could not be more true. I have owned my Harley-Davidson Softail Standard FXST for 8 years now and they have been the best years of my life. It is the people you meet, the experiences you have and that you get to share all that with people who feel the same way. I am part of the Harley-Davidson family. I am a biker and going the museum today taught me my history. It showed me what my brothers before me endured so that I may enjoy the freedoms I enjoy today.
This ride home has been a journey into who I am and who I always knew I was. I will count the days until I can ride home again.

No comments: